A Move to Village Life

Now no longer living in the country we have moved our home to the village of Greytown. This has made me think that I need to put into words some of my memories of life and especially stories of family history. As I have little real information about my fathers family in New Zealand these stories will mainly be related to the Maddock clan, my mothers family.

Let me start with 193 Sutherland Road Lyall Bay. This is where my earliest memories would have been but for some reason, I cannot recall them  I have only stories that I have heard over the years. Some may be experienced and some will be repeated from family members.

This was the house that my mother Fay known as Daisy grew up and lived there until her marriage to my father Alexander Forbes.
They married in 1941 at St Jude's in Lyall Bay. A traditional white wedding with friends and sisters as bridesmaids. The bride's dress which I recall using as a dress up some years later had a top of silver material with a lot of small buttons down the back. I suppose the reception was held at the Maranui Surf club which is situated on the waterfront at Lyall Bay this is sheer supposition but I have seen a photo of my Grandmother Pearl and her husband Enoch at a wedding function. I will endeavor to scan some of these pictures into this document.
From here Alex and Daisy went to live at what the family called Top House. Am not sure where that was exactly but one can assume it wasn't on the flat part of Lyall Bay. To this day I am not sure where my father worked but he enlisted in the war and joined the 8th Army.
Sometime after this, it appears that Fay went back to live at home with her mother Pearl who was now widowed. James Enoch had died from pneumonia stories say he had weakened lungs supposedly caused by being on work schemes in the depression. Pearl and James will need a separate chapter which will be added later. Also at this time my Aunt Patricia and her son Kit came to live at 193 as well. His father an American Marine was serving in the Pacific and my father was with Rommel in Africa. 
At this time in Wellington, there were a large number of marines stationed here and many of the girls enjoyed their company and the gifts they could bring to their lives as rationing was in force here in New Zealand. Many years later I recall an elderly landlady Lulu Tingey telling us about the parties they had with the American soldiers in her family home which was now two flats one of which I was living in. Daresay Daisy and Patricia were out for some relief in their lives. Pat was a seamstress and I think my mother was working as a florist and that is where she met her friends Cora and Olive fresh from Norsewood. These two entrepreneurial girls smartly changed their names to Cherry and Robyn on arriving in Wellington.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Then and Now